Sattvik comes from the word, ‘sattva’ which means pure. In this world of mass production, fertilisers & preservatives, purity in food is becoming an obsolete concept. With the onset of industrialisation, machines have replaced the love of hands and pure soil has lost all purity because of the impact of drastic climate changes. But there is a part of the world that works to bring back organic foods. The Ayurvedic world endorses the Sattvik diet which is considered to bring about a healthy balance between the mind & body.
One of the most customised diet you can ever find, Sattvik diet is designed according to one’s doshas/physiological & personality traits. Something so customised can only bring balance!
Vata, Pitta & Kapha are traits which are characterised by the three elements of nature, air, fire & water respectively. These elements are found in everything; our body, the climate, food, and species in different proportions. They influence our physical, physiological & mental traits and so to be in optimal health we must eat foods that will keep the balance between these elements.
Sattvik diet is a combination of raw & cooked foods. In order to be consistent with the Vata, Pitta & Kapha, Sattvik diet caters to a seasonal diet. Seasonal foods such as fruits, dairy products, nuts, seeds, oils, ripe vegetables (except onion and garlic), legumes, and whole grains are part of the diet.
Some factoids on Sattvik Diet
- Keeping in tandem with the concept of Ahimsa/ non-violence, only vegetarian proteins which cause no harm to nature are consumed.
- Overcooked, overspiced or processed foods are considered Tamasik or destructive.
- Onion & garlic and other vegetables from the same family are not included as they induce aggression, anger, aggravation & anxiety.
- The consistency with nature is one of the biggest benefits of a Sattvik diet. They increase physical & mental strength, longevity, and eliminate exhaustion. The mind & body always carry a peaceful & calm composure.
- Digestion is smooth and functioning of pancreas, liver, stomach & intestine is enhanced.
- BP & diabetic patients should consider switching to Sattvik diet
- It improves the health of your skin & quality of your hair.